Master your imagination. We’re one of three programs in Canada that offers an MFA in Writing.
You’ll focus on perfecting your work in your own genre. We also encourage you to explore new forms, like graphic novels or interactive media.
You’ll work with internationally published writers in a supportive environment. When you leave our program, you’ll take a polished body of work with you. We want you to graduate with skills that will get you a job as a writer or teacher.
You’ll work closely with our experienced faculty, who will respect and nurture your creative voice. In our workshop classes, you’ll receive both helpful criticism and positive feedback. You’ll also learn how to teach creative writing and encourage creativity in others. If you’re interested in publishing, you can intern with a literary magazine or B.C. publisher. The Writing program is offered at University of Victoria, British Columbia.
You can specialize in one of five genres: fiction, creative nonfiction, playwriting, screenwriting and poetry. Typically, we only accept one applicant per genre per year.
Areas of focus
- Creative nonfiction
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Writing Workshop
- Special Topics in Advanced Studies in Writing
- Instructional Skill Preparation
- Major Writing Portfolio
- Directed Studies in Instructional Skills Preparation
- Directed Studies in Writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts View 34 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Canada
- An undergraduate degree in any discipline and from any accredited college or university in BC as well as from accredited post-secondary institutions from outside the province. Applicants must have an undergraduate degree and a cumulative GPA of B.
- There will be only one admission point: September of each year. We will accept only those prepared to make a commitment to full-time studies in the fall and spring semesters of their first year. Applicants will submit a portfolio consisting of samples of writing in the genre in which they wish to study. One of the following will be required: 10-15 pages of poetry; 20-30 pages of playwriting, screenwriting, fiction or creative nonfiction.
- Applicants must also submit a 400-word statement of purpose, which will include a description of the manuscript to be worked on and the specific area of expertise to be explored.
- The Department of Writing will require two letters of reference.
Professional experience, screenings and publications will also be taken into account.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.