The Writing program of University of Victoria, British Columbia is not only emphasizing on writing but on the teaching of writing, which is a specialized area of education. You'll take on teaching assistantships to gain experience in evaluating and assisting undergrads, and to acquire actual classroom teaching skills in the area of writing (rather than in English literature). This program is designed so that teaching will be one of the skills you'll graduate with, to better prepare you for the job market.
The MFA program offers students:
- a supportive environment in which to create a publishable or producible body of work in one of five genres (fiction, creative nonfiction, playwriting, film and poetry), and
- training in the teaching of creative writing at the post-secondary level and for community groups.
Students will work closely with internationally known and published faculty who respect and encourage their creative visions and voices. Through participation in workshop classes that simulate an editorial environment of critical feedback and positive reinforcement, students can develop a significant body of work in their genre.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Writing Workshop
- Special Topics in Advanced Studies in Writing
- Instructional Skill Preparation
- Directed Studies in Instructional Skills Preparation
- Directed Studies in Writing
- Major Writing Portfolio
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 18 other Masters in Creative Writing in Canada
- Online application form
- Portfolio (10-15 pages of poetry, 20-30 pages of playwriting, screenwriting, fiction or creative nonfiction)
- Assessment reports
- Statement of purpose
- Two letters of reference
- English language proficiency (international students)
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5074 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4022 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.