The Public Administration Thesis-Based Option (On Campus) program at University of Victoria, British Columbia culminates with the thesis, which could be done in collaboration with a client organization. The thesis researches problems and considers strategic options for a government agency, non-profit organization, or community client on a real policy or management challenge. The thesis involves reviewing literature, undertaking empirical work, best practices, and developing options and recommendations. All of the MPA courses will prepare you for the thesis.
Our on-campus MPA program will challenge you with a curriculum that focuses on strategic awareness, analytical thinking, communication and leadership. You’ll complete coursework and two co-op work terms. These experiences and your research will prepare you to create an original thesis. You can create your thesis in collaboration with a client organization.
Areas of focus
- Health administration
- Citizenship and citizen participation
- Governance and participatory governance
- Collective bargaining, labour movements and union politics
- Human resource management issues
- Organizational behaviour and theory
- Public sector reform
- Human information processing and problem solving
- Comparative politics
- Urban studies
- Border studies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Government and Governance
- Economics for Policy Analysis
- Public Financial Management and Accountability
- Public Sector Research Methods
- Leadership, Management, Ethics
- Policy-making and Policy Communities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Administration View 28 other Masters in Public Administration in Canada
- have an undergraduate degree with a minimum B+ (6.0) average (75-79%) in the last two years (30 units) leading to the undergraduate degree.
- Course-based option (online): have a minimum of three years of full-time public sector or non-profit work experience. Those applicants whose degree was awarded four or more years prior and whose grade point average is below B+ may be considered.
- follow the instructions online.
- provide Assessment Reports
- submit official copies of all post-secondary transcripts. If you do not have access to official copies when you apply, unofficial copies may be submitted. Official copies will be required before your admissions is finalized, should you be accepted into the program.
- submit a professional resumé.
- submit a Letter of Intent describing why you are seeking an MPA and how the degree relates to your career plans, personal values and goals.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.