Art therapy is used for the treatment and healing of developmental, emotional and psychological problems or disorders. It is also used as a wellbeing intervention for groups and communities experiencing distress.
After the Master of Art Therapy specialised program is offered at La Trobe University graduates are qualified to practise as art therapists in clinical settings including hospitals, community health programs and rehabilitation services. Graduates can also find work in education and psychiatric settings and in aged care, palliative and forensic centres. You'll help people with varied healthcare needs including those dealing with substance abuse, eating disorders and in rehabilitation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Academic Integrity Module
- Art Therapy Counselling Skills
- Art Therapy with Children
- Art Therapy with Adults
- Group Art Therapy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
La Trobe University assesses applications on a rolling basis which means you can apply for the next upcoming intake or available future intakes.
DisciplinesPsychology Liberal Arts School Counselling View 112 other Masters in Psychology in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS code: 077479B
Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- Prospective students who do not meet the counselling skills requirements for entry into the Master of Art Therapy may pathway through our Introduction to Counselling Skills Course.
- Applicants must provide a written application and submit a portfolio demonstrating their skills with a range of visual art media (Compilation of 10-15 photographs of your own original artwork).
- Specialisation - compulsory: Fine arts, graphic design, art education, psychology, counselling, social work, occupational therapy or nursing.
- Applicants to provide two written references (preferably including one academic and one professional reference).
All applicants must complete and submit a Personal Statement.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Applicant to provide resume.
At least one year of human services work experience such as counselling and/or community work (paid or voluntary).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International39000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39000 AUD per year during 24 months.
National28400 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28400 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.