The International and Comparative Education program from The American University in Cairo seeks to enroll students who are interested in improving educational policy and practice in Egypt, the Middle East, and beyond. All students in the MA Program in International and Comparative Education must either complete and defend a thesis, or complete the “Alternative to thesis Option” as described below.
The Graduate School of Education conceives of the thesis in one of a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
- As a research paper that utilizes quantitative, qualitative, or mixed research methods based on a theoretical framework and a full review of related literature.
- As a thorough literature review that utilizes meta-analytic techniques or a theoretical framework to organize and portray a concept, argument, or field-based concern.
- As an applied project that utilizes a rigorous literature review and a carefully explained problem in order to demonstrate skill in applying research to real problems in the world.
- As a policy analysis or program evaluation that utilizes various analytic methods to provide interpretation of the effect of a particular policy or program, bolstered by a thorough literature review.
The thesis should be between 10.000 and 20.000 words and should demonstrate capacity to utilize research tools and existing empirical and theoretical literature.
To conduct a thesis in lieu of the comprehensive examination, the student must submit a pre-proposal to the department. The evaluation of the pre-proposal will indicate whether or not the department will allow the student to do a thesis instead of the comprehensive examination. A proposal must be submitted to, and approved by, a committee consisting of a faculty supervisor and two readers. Upon approval, IRB and other research approvals (such as CAPMAS) must be obtained before any data are collected. Upon completion of the thesis, the document must be submitted to, and approved by, the same committee. An oral defense with the thesis committee will be required. A period of two semesters must be devoted to the thesis.
Alternative to Thesis Option
In lieu of a thesis, the student may opt to: (i) take one extra 3-credit course; and then (ii) sit for a comprehensive exam, through registering for a 1-credit Comprehensive Exam course EDUC 5288. The exam will consist of essays written in a specified time period, followed by a brief oral interview conducted by 2 faculty members, if needed. The purpose of the interview is to give the candidate the opportunity to amplify and supplement the written papers.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Educational Research
- Social Foundations of Education
- Introduction to International & Comparative Education
- Human Development & Learning Theory
- Foundations of Instructional Practice
- Educational Policy Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- The selection of up to two graduate programs for which the admission application will be processed
- A statement of purpose indicating the reasons of interest in the specific program
- An updated resume (CV) that must include work experience and educational background
- At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background.
- Official academic records, of which one must be a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with proof of degree completion.
- Clear copy of the information pages of your passport
- One recent passport size photograph
International735 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 735 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National522 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 522 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.