The compulsory core subjects are relevant to all science disciplines and provide a backbone of skills important to a professional scientist; be they engaged in research, science businesses, industries or government organisations. These are the skills of communication, critical analysis, project management and innovation and commercialisation. These are complemented by professional stream choices which enable students to select a portfolio of skills relevant to their chosen career.
The professional strand is complemented by medical biotechnology study. Students may have the option of undertaking a small research project, subject to approval by the faculty. For students with suitable achievement levels, an opportunity to undertake a more substantial research project is available by transferring into the Master of Philosophy in Medical Biotechnology (C04389). For those considering a research degree, the Master of Philosophy in Medical Biotechnology provides a pathway to a PhD.
The Master of Medical Biotechnology (Extension) at the University of Technology Sydney provides graduates with analytic tools and disciplinary knowledge, combined with creative, logical approaches to problem solving and professional skills that facilitate real-world application of the science such as project management, IP management and commercialisation.
All graduates have training in the professional attributes that employers seek. The skills learnt expand career horizons and enhance prospects for promotion in the rapidly evolving science professions. Graduates may also proceed to a career in research by transferring into the Master of Philosophy in Medical Biotechnology (C04389) as a pathway to a PhD.
Graduates of this course are well prepared for careers in medical device and biotechnology companies, government policy and regulation, hospitals, and research organisations where the ability to combine biology and biotechnology to solve medical problems is required.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Advanced Communication Skills in Science
- Advanced Microscopy and Imaging
- Experimental and Diagnostic Flow Cytometry
- Ethics in Human Research
- Ethics in Animal Research
- Risk Assessment and Management for Science
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Biotechnology View 38 other Masters in Biotechnology in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- Entry into the course requires a bachelor's, master's, graduate diploma, or graduate certificate qualification in biochemistry and cell biology, microbiology, human biology, genetics, laboratory technology, medical science, food science and biotechnology, or pharmacology.
- The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0; or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21; or AE5: Pass; or PTE: 58-64; or CAE: 176-184.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International873 AUD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 873 AUD per credit during 24 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.