The academic DNA of our Master's students preferably consists of reflexivity, curiosity, open-mindedness, commitment, initiative and affinity with writing.
The first semester brings you up to date with the latest trends and topics, the second semester is for individual specialisation. The unique characteristic of the programme in Utrecht is the focus on contemporary, hybrid practices and the possibility to focus on dance and dance dramaturgy.
They are able to contextualise these developments, reflect critically on them, and make this reflection productive for diverse theoretical, practical, educational, and critical ends. Alumni of the programme have gone on to work as:
- theatre or dance dramaturge
- theatre or dance critic
- dramaturgy instructor
- public officials for cultural affairs
- employees at training centres for the arts
- director of cultural programs on radio, television or internet platforms
- curators, organisers and programmers of theatre or dance festivals
- public relations or education employee with theatre or dance companies or performing arts houses
Many of our international students use their knowledge and skills to become a dramaturge, writer, artistic advisor, or organizer of performance events in their homeland, or to start up platforms for the exchange of artistic knowledge.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Concepts of Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy
- Contemporary Performance: Mapping the Field
- Performance Research Lab: Act
- Internship Ma Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy
- Master Thesis Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLiberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 11 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the Master's programme Contemporary Theatre, Dance and Dramaturgy if you have a Bachelor’s diploma from a Dutch university or foreign equivalent (research university degree) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You are able to reflect on and query the functioning of theatre, dance and/or performance in contemporary culture, as demonstrated by your motivation letter and a writing sample (in English).
You have knowledge of and insight in theatre, dance and/or performance theory, history and/or dramaturgy, as shown by having taken at least 30 EC worth of courses in this field on Bachelor's level, 15 EC of which should be at advanced Bachelor's level (practical training not included), or an equivalent of this.
Motivation and talent (also on the basis of GPA and study progress monitoring).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.