The MSt programme in English and American Studies offered at the University of Oxford consists of four main components, through which you will study the history and criticism of American literature alongside the history and criticism of Literature in English.
In the first two terms, you will take a core course (A) that offers a ‘state-of-the-field’ overview of American literary studies and a compulsory course in book history and theories of text focused on materials emerging from Colonial American and US contexts (B). You will also choose two courses from a range of options in American Literature, Literature in English, and World Literature (C). Under the guidance of a specialist supervisor you will also research and write a dissertation, usually one primarily on American materials, which is submitted in the final term.
Many English taught-course students go onto doctoral research, both at Oxford and at other universities worldwide. Other graduates pursue careers in occupations including teaching, journalism, law, publishing and the civil service.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Literature, contexts and approaches
- Bibliography, theories of text, history of the book, manuscript studies
- Special options
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 525 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
As a minimum, applicants should hold or be predicted to achieve the equivalent of the following UK qualifications:
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in English literature and/or English language, or exceptionally a related subject.
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.75 (with at least 3.85 in the major) out of 4.0.
- If your degree is not from the UK or another country specified above, visit our International Qualifications page for guidance on the qualifications and grades that would usually be considered to meet the University’s minimum entry requirements.
International26405 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26405 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
EU/EEA12335 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12335 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.