You will develop or extend your knowledge and understanding of:
- the key approaches to the social scientific study of modern China
- research methods, strategies and ethics that will be of relevance to the social scientific study of China
- critical analysis of sources and ability to present findings effectively, both verbally and in sustained writing exercises
- framing and executing a workable research topic
- interdisciplinary research and its potential.
The Contemporary Chinese Studies from The University of Oxford is built around the two core courses. The first core course, Research Methods, will introduce you to the strengths and weaknesses of contrasting discipline-based approaches to the study of Asia.
Graduate pathways after the MSc typically fall into one of three categories. The first group move on to further academic study, either in China in order to further enhance their language and cultural skills at leading universities, or by pursuing doctoral study in key disciplines, either here at Oxford or at other top-ranked universities worldwide.
The second path taken by the department’s graduates involves government and public service at international institutions, government agencies and prominent NGOs, usually with a direct focus on China or the East Asia region as part of the brief for their positions.
The third pathway chosen by graduates typically involves major private sector firms in industry or finance, commercial research agencies and international consulting.
- Research Methods
- The Study of Contemporary China
- Assessment for Research Method
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 610 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- Official transcript(s)
- Statement of purpose/personal statement: A maximum of 1,000 words
- Written work: Two essays of a maximum of 2,000 words each or one essay of a maximum of 4,000 words
- References/letters of recommendation: Three overall, generally academic
International26940 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26940 GBP per year during 12 months.
National22630 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22630 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.