You will have access to world-class postgraduate teaching and research at Birkbeck, and spend one term abroad at a leading university in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, or Canada. This is the only Master's degree in film and screen media in the UK that includes an international exchange with prestigious European and North American universities.
The Master's degree in Film and Screen Media (with Study Abroad) at Birkbeck, University of London encourages you to explore a wide variety of screen media in historical, sociological, aesthetic and anthropological terms and, also, in a variety of cultural and national contexts.
You can personalise your MA studies and specialise in areas of film and screen media that match your intellectual interests and career goals, and for the study abroad element, you can choose the university with the specific strengths and specialisms that will help you develop and deepen your particular film and screen media interests. You will need to have good or very good knowledge of at least one European language in order to take full advantage of this course (for Montreal this language is French). Some universities offer language instruction for Birkbeck students, to help them improve their language skills.
This course has three other pathways: MA Film and Screen Media, MA Film and Screen Media (with Television) and MA Film and Screen Media with Film Programming and Curating.
- Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3
- Università degli Studi di Udine
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore di Milano
- Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense
- Université de Liège
- Ruhr Universität Bochum
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona
- Université Lille 3
- Università degli Studi Roma 3
- University of Amsterdam
- Université de Montréal
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to careers in film and television companies, museums and galleries, arts administration and education. Possible professions include arts administrator, museum or gallery curator, or teacher. This degree may also be useful in becoming a programme researcher or television/film/video producer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research/Placement Project and Report MA Film and Screen Media
- Screen Media: History, Technology and Culture
- Artists' Film: the museum, the gallery and beyond
- Audio-Visual Histories of Cinema
- British Cinema and Television 1960-85
- Contemporary American Cinema
- Curating Film, Sharing Passions
- Documentary: Filmmaking Histories and Digital Practices
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 365 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in a relevant subject (eg humanities, modern languages or social sciences).
- Knowledge of at least one other European language at a level to allow you to follow a postgraduate-level course at one of our partner institutions.
- As part of the application process, you are required to complete a 700-1000-word written exercise by choosing a film or television programme which you have recently seen and explaining why you found it innovative.
- Upon review of the application and the entrance task, admissions tutors will invite successful candidates to attend an interview.
- After the interview, a final decision on the application will be made.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.