This MA in Contemporary Literature and Culture from Birkbeck, University of London considers the legacy of postmodernism, the effects of new technologies on narrative form, and the aesthetic, spatial and political coordinates of writing produced in an increasingly networked and globalised world.
Through a range of literary and interdisciplinary options, you have the opportunity to pursue your own interests, whether they lie in contemporary poetics; in fiction from Britain, the US, Europe or postcolonial nations; in the changing forms of the book in a digital age; or in historical approaches to issues like nation, race, gender and sexuality. The MA's programme of study opens up the aesthetic, historical and political dimensions of contemporary literature and culture.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to careers in writing and journalism, editing and publishing, research, marketing, public relations and education. Possible professions include writing, editing, or publishing. This degree can also be useful in becoming an editorial assistant, public relations officer, magazine or newspaper journalist, or advertising copywriter.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Post-War to Contemporary
- Reading the Contemporary
- A Confusion of Tongues: Illness, Language, Writing
- Contemporary British Poetry
- Contemporary US Fiction
- Memory Trauma and Cultural Identity
- Narrating Nation after 9/11
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 467 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
- A second-class honours degree in literature, cultural studies, history or another relevant subject.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.