You can take a broadly comparative pathway through the degree or choose to engage with one or more specific language-speaking areas.
The Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish) course at Birkbeck, University of London brings together a team of renowned academic experts in cultural studies, visual studies, linguistics, comparative literature and cultures, history and thought. We will help you steer a pathway through the programme that reflects your specific interests, career and personal ambitions, and language knowledge. You will be able to choose whether you study texts in the original language(s) or in English translation; if you work in the original language(s) this will be reflected in the final degree title (eg MA French and Spanish).
If you are interested in pursuing further research, we offer an associated MPhil/PhD Comparative Literature.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to careers in international organisations or businesses, translating and teaching, research and journalism. Possible professions include teacher, researcher, journalist, or translator. This degree may also be useful in becoming an academic librarian, writer, arts administrator, or advertising copywriter.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Studying Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies in Modern Languages
- Research Skills Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies (Modern Languages)
- Imagining the Nation
- Interrogating the Self
- Memory and History
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 345 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.