Although aimed at those with a Multiple Subject credential, the Elementary and Middle School Science Education program at California State University Long Beach may also be appropriate for Single Subject teachers interested in increasing the breadth of their scientific knowledge.
Students completing this option will be prepared to assume positions of greater science leadership at their schools or districts, or go on to further graduate study in Science Education.
The Master's degree program offered by the Science Education Department is designed for the practicing professionals, with options for elementary and secondary teachers and educators from informal science learning centers. Students graduating from our program will have:
- deepened their science content knowledge.
- increased their confidence in their content knowledge and teaching abilities.
- synthesized, evaluated, and applied key ideas in the discipline and practice of science education.
- critically read and applied scholarly literature in science education.
- designed and carried out education research.
- developed science education professional leadership skills.
- Current Issues and Research in Science Education
- Science Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Models
- Nature of Science
- Science Education Research Methods
- Directed Research
- Life Science Applications for K-8 Teachers
- Earth Sciences Applications for K-8 Teachers
- Physical Science Applications for K-8 Teachers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPrimary Education Secondary Education View 266 other Masters in Secondary Education in United States
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college.
- Completed departmental application form, including personal statement.
- Two confidential recommendation letters, sent under separate cover, including one from an administrator or supervisor at a school/institution where the applicant is (or was) employed.
- Prospective graduate students must also receive a positive recommendation following an interview with graduate faculty.
- A California Multiple Subject credential, Single Subject Science Teaching credential, or other instructional experience deemed equivalent by the Graduate Studies Committee. In the case of informal science educators, this must be evidenced by letters from employers provided on institutional letterhead.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 for the last 60 units of study completed.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
- If you are not a resident of California, you must add $396.00 for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.