At a GlanceProvides up-to-date theories and methods in teaching English-as-a-second languageTaught by expert staff with experience of teaching English around the worldOption to build your own course matching your individual interests
About this courseThe Applied Linguistics and TESOL course from Newcastle University allows you to improve or update your knowledge and understanding of teaching English as a foreign or second language. It has a strong emphasis on:
- language learning
- interaction in second language classrooms and wider settings
- teacher development
- engagement in learning and with technology
What you'll learn
By the end of the course you will be familiar with current developments in Applied Linguistics and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). In particular, you will develop your knowledge of:
- language learning
- features of communication in a range of settings
- teaching methodology
The course is available to:
- those with teaching experience (in-service)
- those without teaching experience (pre-service)
- lecturers at higher education institutions
As part of the course you will carry out a research project. This encourages you to explore teaching and learning issues through collecting and analysing data. Our research methods module will provide you with a range of research tools and training.
To ensure a positive learning experience, a variety of support is available, focusing on:
- critical thinking
- academic writing
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- English Language Teaching Methods
- Language Awareness
- Language Learning
- English for Academic Purposes
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no application closing date for this course.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 334 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in:
- English language
- English literature
- a similar related subject
We will also consider your application if you have:
- two years of full time language teaching experience and
- a lower degree classification
- or a degree that is not English/language-related
International18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU Part time: £3,900
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.