As a student in the Theology and Religious Studies (research) programme at the University of Groningen, you will explore the impact of local and global socio-economic and political developments on religion, and how religion contributes to such developments. A staff member whose research interests in religion matches your best will act as your supervisor throughout the programme.
You will acquire an overview of central debates in the study of religion and develop key research skills by following three compulsory core modules. We offer four specialization routes within which you can develop your individual research profile and skills.
Your individual, tailor made route within the programme consists of a combination of optional modules from one of the one-year master specializations, research traineeships, (individual) tutorials and writing a thesis and a research proposal.
The modules, traineeships and tutorials are designed to equip you with in-depth knowledge of specialized subjects, together with subject-specific methodological skills. The final specialization occurs in the Research Master's thesis, which forms the basis of a PhD thesis proposal or an application for research funding.
A degree in Theology and Religious Studies (research) provides a perfect background for:
- admission to PhD programmes at national and international institutes and universities;
- positions outside academia for which academic research skills are required;
- positions as a civil servant, advisor or policymaker with local and national government;
- teaching positions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Religion and Culture
- Specialization modules
- Field-specific research skills
- Philosophy of Science in the Study of Religion and Culture
- Generic academic skills
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Religious Studies & Theology View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A grade list of the marks of your bachelor's degree programme with an explanation of the followed courses
- The bachelor's programme must have been completed at a pace and with results that warrant the expectation of successful completion of the Research Master's programme in two years
- Bachelor's degree in Theology, Religious Studies, Arts (e.g. International Organizations, Middle Eastern Studies, Philosophy), Political Sciences or Social Sciences (e.g. Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology)
International13500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.