The Specialised Translation degree offered at the University of Westminster will prepare you for a career in the translation market. Building on your existing language skills, you will learn how to research specialised subjects to produce, with and without the use of translation memory software tools, commercially usable translations of specialised technical and institutional texts, applying insights drawn from linguistics and translation theory as well as from professional practice.
At the heart of the Specialised Translation MA lie our weekly practical translation classes between English and one of the languages listed above. If you are a native speaker of English and would like to study translation with two of the above languages, you can choose to replace the Audiovisual and Computer-Assisted Translation and Quality Assurance and Project Management modules with a further two Specialised Translation modules in your second foreign language.
The Specialised Translation MA has an excellent graduate employment record. Many of our graduates work as in-house translators in international organisations such as the United Nations and the European Commission, or within translation companies both in the UK and across many other countries all over the world.
Other graduates work as freelance translators, or as translation project managers, subtitlers, editors, revisers, proofreaders, or terminologists.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Specialised Translation
- Audiovisual and Computer-Assisted Translation•
- Quality Assurance and Project Management for Translators*
- Professional Development
- MA Translation Project or MA Thesis
- International Organisations and Institutional Discourse
- Translation as Cultural Practice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesTranslation & Interpreting Linguistics View 98 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a lower second class honours degree (2:2). Linguists without a degree, but with sufficient experience in a relevant area, will also be considered.
- Applicants will be interviewed in person or on the telephone and set a translation test to check your suitability for the course. The course is open to native speakers of English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish and Chinese.
- Applicants will need fluent written and spoken English. Most successful applicants will have met the IELTS requirement when they submit their application as excellent English language skills are fundamentally important.
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.