Master in Architecture and Urban Design from The University of Tokyo is taught in English that was established as an experimental laboratory to explore contemporary design research on architecture. The ambitions of the program are to provide a platform for collaboration between various research laboratories within the Department of Architecture and also within the Graduate School of Engineering, linking design practices with scientific research projects.
The program focuses on the development of comprehensive design proposals exploring the interconnectivity of building systems including issues of structure, materials, environment, spatial logic and socio-cultural parameters. It systematically examines and speculates on the rapidly emerging and evolving contemporary built environment and its design challenges through both theoretical and specific architectural design investigation leading to a rigorous Design Thesis Project.
The University of Tokyo, also known as "Todai" was established in 1877 as the first national university in Japan. As a leading research university, Todai offers courses in essentially all academic disciplines at both undergraduate and graduate levels and conducts research across the full spectrum of academic activity.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Architectural Design
- Architecture and Cities in Japan
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration
- Architectural Design
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration or Architecture and Cities in Japan
- Architectural Concepts and Design Methodologies
- Research in Architecture
- Computational Design in Architecture
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application form
- Proof of Bachelor's degree
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Research work conducted by the applicant, such as a Bachelor's thesis, Honor's thesis or equivalent
- (graduates of Bachelor's programs with no research component will be given an essay assignment at the
- time of shortlisting)
- Proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation by university academics
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of Examination Fee payment (the details regarding Examination Fee will be sent out at the time of shortlisting)
International4112 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4112 USD per year during 24 months.
National4112 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4112 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tokyo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.