Address some of the most pressing questions in political life. What is politics for - to bring real freedom and equality for all human beings, to realise justice, or to prevent human beings from killing one another in large numbers? What do we owe the global poor? Can we close our borders? Where does power lie in democracies?
You'll be encouraged to attend regular research seminars, where the best current work in political theory is presented by staff and eminent guest speakers from all over the world.
Careers and skills
From political research to journalism, marketing and HR, a masters degree in Political Theory leads to a broad range of career opportunities.
Students of the Political Theory course from University of York have found work in central or local government, non-governmental organisations, community and voluntary organisations, social enterprise, higher education, accountancy and banking organisations, law firms, media companies and international and global development bodies.
Recent graduates from the department work as university lecturers, parliamentary assistants, librarians and television producers. Other popular employers include:
- Local councils
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Professional services / Accountancy firms - notably PwC, EY, KPMG
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Development charities including the International Committee of the Red Cross
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Approaches to Political Theory
- Theories of Justice
- Critical Theory
- Topics in the History of Political Thought
- Ethics and World Politics
- Critical Theories of International Politics Economy
- Contemporary Issues in International Political Economy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesPublic Policy Political Science View 494 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent. We are willing to consider applicants with lower qualifications, particularly if you have high marks in relevant modules and/or appropriate professional experience. Additional information may be requested.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time (2 years)
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.