Relationships as a pathway to healing
Students in the Marital and Family Therapy program at University of San Diego complete rigorous coursework and a 12-month clinical practicum in community sites, such as Rady Children’s Hospital Outpatient Psychiatry and the Eating Disorders Center for Treatment and Research at UCSD. Full-time students graduate in 2 years and accrue approximately 1100 hours toward the 3,000 hours required for MFT licensure in California. After graduation, students become Registered Associate Marital and Family Therapists and continue their training in preparation for licensure.
Our biospsychosocial, systems approach centers on relationships, focusing on cultivating a deeper understanding of how family interactions and social connections affect our daily lives. Our approach to family therapy education has been described in our best-selling books, Essential Skills in Family Therapy, 3rd edition (Guilford, 2018) Clinician’s Guide to Research Methods: Foundations of Evidence-based Practice (Guilford, 2014), and Essential Assessment Skills for Couple and Family Therapists (Guilford, 2011). We provide specialized training in medical settings, which is described in The Therapist’s Guide to Psychopharmacology (Guilford, 2006) and Mental Health Professionals in Medical Settings: A Primer (Norton, 2002).
- Research in Family Therapy
- Family Therapy Theories
- Psychopathology in the Family
- Ethical, Legal, & Professional Issues in Family Therapy
- Human Diversity in Family Therapy
- Family Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Psychology Counselling Psychology View 231 other Masters in Family & Consumer Science in United States
- Submit the University of San Diego Graduate School Admission Online Application and $45 application fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommenders’ Contact Information
- Official transcript from the university where you earned your bachelor’s degree is required at the time of application
- Students who earned their bachelor’s degree from an institution outside the United States must submit a course-by-course degree evaluation must submit a course-by-course degree evaluation at the time of application
- Two letters of recommendation
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Purpose of 500-words maximum
- Official score reports for the TOEFL or the IELTS is required of all international applicants and may only be waived if English is the applicant’s primary language or if he or she obtained a bachelor’s degree in the U.S., Great Britain, Canada or Australia
International45270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1509 USD per credit during 12 months.
National45270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1509 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for San Diego
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.