You will receive training in traditional sociological research methods and inquiry, with an eye toward questions of broad public relevance. You will be encouraged to consider the audiences for which you are writing, including policy makers, political activists, community groups and non-profits, and the general public. This is sociology in action.
Sociology faculty from George Mason University are sought after contributors to local and national media on a range of topics from high school proms to prison reform to the economic contributions of immigrant households. Many hold leadership positions in local, regional, and national professional associations and are working on research projects supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service, the National Science Foundation, and the State Department, among many others.
The faculty specialize in culture (including music, art, new media, and consumption); family, youth and aging; gender; globalization; immigration and migration; political economy, development and economic sociology; political sociology and social movements; race/ethnicity; religion; sociological theory; and urban sociology.
Students pursuing an MA in sociology may choose a specialization in either institutions and inequality, or the sociology of globalization. Under the larger framework of these specializations, students may pursue studies in a wide range of areas of sociological inquiry.
In addition to the research component in sociology coursework, some students work on research projects conducted by department faculty or through Mason’s Center for Social Science Research . Our students range from recent graduates to mid-career professionals, and bring both local and international perspectives to the classroom.
Some of our graduates pursue a PhD in sociology and several have gone on to academic positions. Some work in higher education administration, marketing, and social services. Others find research positions in public policy at organizations such as the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, Mathematica Policy Research, the US Census Bureau, and Nielson. The Washington, D.C., area offers rich opportunities to pursue employment in all of these fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Methods and Logic of Social Inquiry
- Survey Research
- Evaluation Research for Social Programs
- Special Topics in Sociology
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Statistical Reasoning
- Historical and Comparative Sociology
- Analytic Techniques of Social Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology View 369 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State524 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 524 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.