The MA Photography programme at University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) aims to help you become a flexible multi-skilled, lateral thinker with a critical and vocational awareness of how photography works for a range of destinations and web-based platforms.
This course sits within the School of Journalism and Media’s postgraduate provision. It has key links with the MA Visual Journalism and the MA Media Innovation offering you a wide arena of approaches and practitioners to consult on professional and personal projects.
The course is delivered through a variety of methods both that are dependent on the required learning that will find you learning not only in a classroom but out in the field. Critically based lectures and seminars will give you a sound grounding in the current thinking about photography and how this impacts on the work of contemporary practitioners working in a politically and socially complex world. Intensive workshop sessions will enable you to attain the relevant skills and to undertake visual problem solving.
Developing your understanding of industry expectations, skill levels and professional behaviour will further underpin the much of the course. Opportunities to take part in professional projects, to undertake placements or to work on client-based briefs will also help you to acquire relevant professional skills and experiences.
We have links with the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Guardian Newspaper, Northern Rail, Lancashire Archives and the Mass Observation Project.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Project
- New Media Practices
- Visualising the Invisible
- Independent Practice
- Space, Location and Territory
- Socially Engaged Art
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 293 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Entry by application form and interview.
- 2:2 Hons degree in photography or related Hons degree from UK or equivalent (non-UK) qualification and a portfolio are required for entry.
- Consideration given to alternative BA (equivalent) qualifications to applicants with creative industries' work experience.
- Non-standard qualifications, relevant work or life experience will be equally considered. We consider applications for prior learning (cert or experiential) which fulfils some of the learning outcomes of a course for admission with credit to an appropriate point on that course. Students can apply either before or after they commence the course.
- Applicants must have a min level of proficiency equal to IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part-time: £765 per 20 credits (UK/EU)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.