- 2-year International Master's Program
- Graduates receive a Master of Science degree from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Specalize in one of the five research areas: Photonic Materials & Devices, Quantum Optics & Spectroscopy, Biomedical Photonics, Optical Systems, Solar Energy
- Scholarships available
- Program language: English
- Industry Internships and Career Workshops available
Optics & Photonics are key technologies for the 21st century. As enabling technologies for high-end industrial applications, they drive research in physics, chemistry, biology and engineering. In 2006, the Karlsruhe School of Optics & Photonics (KSOP) was founded as the first Graduate School of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Today, KSOP‘s membership is comprised of over 900 Master students, doctoral researchers and alumni from 70 different countries.
The 2-year Master’s program in Optics & Photonics is taught in English. Applicants are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or natural sciences to become a part of the interdisciplinary Master’s program. After completing the fundamental introductory courses and core subjects in the first two semesters, each student chooses a research specialization. During their studies, Master students come into direct contact with KSOP research groups.
(KIT) under the German “Excellence Initiative”. In 2021, KSOP became sustainably funded through the KIT by the Federal Ministry of Research and Education (BMBF) and the State of Baden-Württemberg. KSOP provides a multidisciplinary environment for first-class research and education as well as for the generation of innovative technologies in Optics & Photonics. Comprising both Master‘s and Doctorate programs, the educational concept is designed to qualify graduates for accelerated careers at world leading academic institutions and in hightech industries.
Industry Cooperations - Advantages for KSOP Students
The Optics and Photonics degree taught at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) prepares students for an academic as well as for an industrial career path. Therefore the close cooperation to industry partners is of high value for KSOP students.
By gaining experiences in well-known international companies via internships or master thesis projects, students can prepare for their professional path and get in contact with future employers. KSOP offers a lot of events and trainings to open students possibilities in the German labor market, e.g.
Practical Experiences & Industry Insights
- Gain experiences in international companies in Germany while completing at least one internship in the industry
- KSOP encourages students to write their master thesis at a partner company to build up a network of possible future employers
- Excursions to industry partners
- Cooperative lectures of company representatives
- Optical Systems
- Biomedical Photonics
- Solar Energy
- Quantum Optics & Spectroscopy
- Photonic Materials & Devices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Physics Mechanical Engineering View 27 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copy of your Bachelor Degree (if the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, you can apply with a preliminary transcript of records)
- CV in English
- Letter of Motivation (no longer than one page)
- 2 Recommendation Letters At least one recommendation letter from a professor of your current university is needed. Please forward this form for recommendation letters to the referees.
International3308 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1654 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA308 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 154 EUR per semester during 24 months.
The Master's program is funded by the State of Baden-Württemberg and thus has no tuition fee for EU students and low tuition fees for non-EU students.
Living costs for Karlsruhe
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
There are various scholarhsip opportunities for KSOP students. For more information, visit: https://www.ksop.kit.edu/scholarships.php
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.