Security and safety has always been at the heart of the human condition. An understanding of security involves studying not only what makes us feel secure, but also what we regard as threatening.
In the current international environment, with the upsurge in international terrorism and conflicts in Syria and Ukraine, this course offers the opportunity for in-depth study and analysis.
Taught by international security and terrorism experts, this course will introduce you to some of the major schools of thought within the discipline including realism, liberalism and critical theory.
You will explore key issues in contemporary international security including international intervention, conventional and nuclear deterrence, insurgency and counter-insurgency, peacemaking, and peacekeeping.
This International Security and Terrorism course from the University of Nottingham will facilitate the analysis of terrorism as a political strategy and will explore its contemporary significance and relative success. It will also develop your understanding of counter-terrorist techniques and provide you with an in-depth study of security issues in particular regions of the world.
The focus is on three key elements:
- Theoretical underpinnings of international security and terrorism
- Empirical problems of security and terrorism in the present age
- Security and terrorism complexities through optional modules
You can take part in a field trip to Europe visiting sights of political and cultural interest. Recent trips have included Brussels, the Hague and Berlin.
Careers and professional development
This course is suitable if you are looking to further your academic knowledge or pursue a career in a range of fields, such as:
- armed services
- civil service
- international organisations
- non-governmental organisations
- policy research
More informationVisit official programme website
- Terrorism and Insurgencies
- Theories and Concepts in International Relations
- Dissertation on International Relations/International Studies
- Comparative Democratic Development
- European Union Politics
- Gender and Development
- Global Asia
- International Political Economy
- Justice Beyond Borders: Theories of International and Intergenerational Justice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPolitical Science Terrorism & Security View 397 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- 2.1 (or international equivalent)
International19980 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19980 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9045 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.