The Archaeology programme is offered by the University of Haifa . Unlike any other region in the world, Mount Carmel’s key sites, such as the Tabun and Skhul caves, preserve evidence of both modern human and Neanderthal populations, at sites less than 100 meters from each other. As such, situated atop the Carmel Mountain, Haifa University provides students with an ideal setting for the study of Prehistoric Archaeology and an invaluable opportunity to take part in field research all over Israel’s historic landscape.
Upon completion of the Prehistoric Archaeology program at University of Haifa, students will be awarded a Master of Arts in Archaeology from the Faculty of Humanities and the Department of Archaeology.
The program focuses on the prehistory and paleoenvironment of the Mount Carmel region and each student can choose to specialize in one of many relevant topics, such as lithic, faunal, geological and palynological studies. Students will benefit from a rich variety of courses focusing on prehistoric studies, as well as from a range of additional key topics including environmental archaeology; archaeological theory and method; and archaeology of the Southern Levant. The one-year program is taught in English over three consecutive semesters from October until September.
Students wishing to pursue the thesis track will need to submit a research thesis within one year of completing their coursework and may require remaining at the university for an additional one or two semesters.
Graduates of the program can find employment with archaeological contractors, local government, university archaeology departments, national heritage agencies, national parks, museums and with independent archaeological consultants.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Human Ecology in the Levant: Seminar
- Selected Topics in Prehistory: Seminar
- Prehistoric Mount Carmel and the Galilee: Seminar
- Mount Carmel Field Campus: Workshop
- Negev Field Campus
- Galilee Field Campus
- Archaeology in the Southern Levant
- Near Eastern Prehistory
- Advances in Prehistoric Research
- Introduction to Lithic Technology
- Physical Anthropology
- Practical Osteology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArchaeology Ancient History View 3 other Masters in Archaeology in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Accredited BA degree in the humanities, natural or exact sciences, diploma and transcript
- A minimum of 3.0 GPA, 76% or equivalent
- TOEFL scores (if native language is not English or candidates have not previously studied at an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is English). A minimum of 570 (paper-based test), 230 (computer-based test) or 89 (internet-based test)
- Two letters of recommendation from relevant academic faculty members
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Copy of a valid passport & six passport-sized photos
- Personal statement (500-750 words)
- Medical forms
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9910 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Haifa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Some of the MA programs have a limited number of scholarships available for students based on financial need. Students who are in financial need are encouraged to submit an application.
In addition to the University of Haifa need-based scholarship you can also submit applications to all other scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible (MASA, local Jewish Federation, etc.).
Find out more by visiting the University website!
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.