Despite an apparent return to a pure and fresh creativity, the components of fashion design related jobs have dramatically changed. Imagining garments in an intuitive way is only one aspect of a designer’s responsibilities. A head designer or a creative director must not only anticipate social and aesthetic changes, but also understand the strategic issues faced by brands in terms of positioning, market potential and communication.
Our Master of Arts in Contemporary Fashion Design at IFA Paris - International Fashion Academy was specifically designed to address these changes and is aimed at Fashion Design graduates who want to go beyond product design and development.
The Contemporary Fashion Design program has 3 main objectives :
- Enriching our students’ fashion and creative culture with modules especially designed for this course. For instance our ‘Fashion Cross Culture’ module was developed with the Musée des Arts Décoratifs to provide a more sophisticated approach towards the analysis of cultural discrepancies and their effect on fashion. Another key module would be “Fashion Product Semiology”. It uses semiology as a methodology to decode a garment and to decrypt its aesthetic aspect in order to better understand how it is perceived.
- Developing student creativity with modules such as « Creative Process» that helps students become more aware of their own “creative logic” and increase their potential. The addition of practical workshops will provide students with a new approach on known production and designing techniques. For example the “Pattern and Draping Development” module introduces new research methods based on experimentation and opens new perspectives for students when it comes to finding inspiration.
- Helping our students understand how the fashion industries work and how brand strategies are crafted on a global context. Marketing, organisational issues, financial challenges as well as image and communication strategies will be discussed in a series of various modules
The course ends with students developing their own collection project with the guidance of a tutor. This project includes creating a garment and/or an accessories collection. The process involves designing prototypes for 12 silhouettes as well as developing marketing and business plans. This collection is then examined by a jury of professionals and the best students receive the opportunity to show their work to fashion professionals at the IFA Graduate Show that takes place during The Haute Couture Fashion Week. Students are also tutored to take part in several international contests that represent a great platform for young fashion designers.
As with the other IFA Paris courses, the Master of Arts in Contemporary Fashion Design benefits greatly from its Paris location. With its rich cultural life, its two museums dedicated to fashion, its 6 annual fashion weeks, hundreds of showrooms and textile fairs as well as the vicinity of small-scale crafts industries, the city of lights remains the undisputed fashion capital of the world.
All our programs are articulated around the ECTS framework as defined by the Bologne convention. After completing their course, students receive a total of 120 ECTS that can easily be transferred if they decide to study further. This program also received the IDEL/IDEART accreditation and is certified as an “International Master."
More informationVisit official programme website
- Modules include: Contemporary Creativity Analysis, Research & Creative Thinking, Creative Process Workshop
- Modules include: Fashion Ethnography, Fashion Cross Culture, Creative Context, Trends & Future, Fashion Product Semiology
- Modules include: Positioning & Pricing, Fashion Distribution, Consumer Behavior, Sourcing & Supply Chain Issues, Branding
- Modules include: Communication, The Fashion Press, Retail & Visual Merchandising, Photographic Styling, Fashion Photography, History & Analysis
- Modules include: Entrepreneurship & Finance, Intellectual Property
- Modules include: Digital Design Workshop, Innovative Textile Workshop, Pattern & Draping Development
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Art History Fashion Design View 18 other Masters in Design in France
- Bachelor Graduate or significant professional experience in related fields
- IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL IBT 79 (or equivalence) or proof of study in English, for non-native English speakers
- Interview (on campus or Skype)
- Working experience (internships are taken into account)
International10240 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12800 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 15 months.
National10240 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12800 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 15 months.
- €12,800 in Paris
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.