Cosmology is positioned at the interface between Theoretical Physics and Observational Astronomy. This specialisation is offered in collaboration with the also internationally well-known Leiden Observatory.
It covers research subject like: observations of the universe with state-of-the-art telescopes on Earth and in space, supercomputer simulations of the origin of structure, Theoretical Physics study of the Hot Big Bang, the expanding universe, and inflation are providing a consistent picture of our universe which is quite precise, yet full of unknown physics waiting to be discovered. Research in this area is moving fast, and requires familiarity with current theoretical ideas as well as a basic understanding of the data. The overall aim is to train you in this exciting research field, preferably in an integrated Cosmology master’s and PhD degree programme.
If you are a theoretical-oriented student who would like to discover all aspects of modern astrophysics - which includes observation, interpretation, simulation and theory, this is the right specialisation.
Why study Research in Physics, Cosmology at Leiden University?
- The core elements of this specialisation are theory, data analysis and numerical simulations, with research on the origin of dark matter as one of the highlights.
- The programme is offered in close collaboration with the internationally renowned research institute Leiden Observatory.
- This Cosmology specialisation is part of the Leiden Sitter programme, where you can follow an integrated master and PhD programme.
Accredited by: NVAO in: the Netherlands
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The curriculum of this master’s specialisation consists of:
- First research project
- Master’s project in Cosmology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
- Placement letter
International19100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19100 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.