Past tutors have included Frankie Gavin, Liam O'Flynn, Martin Hayes, Matt Cranitch, Michael McGoldrick amongst many others. Academic skills relating to the understanding and critical examination of repertoire, sources and styles of performance, as well as an examination of modern, vocational, non-performance skills such as music business and music technology, form an essential part of the programme content.
This Irish Traditional Music Performance programme offered by University of Limerick will develop music skills and other associated skills appropriate to the modern performance of traditional Irish music.
- To provide a learning environment for advanced performance in Traditional Irish Music to the highest standard;
- To honour the artistic integrity, history, and identity of the performance practice within an academic and performance orientated context;
- To facilitate interactivity with other performance practices;
- To assist each individual performer in 'finding his or her voice' through traditional music performance;
- To facilitate the cross-fertilisation of both the academic and performance pursuits of postgraduate performing music, dance and academic programmes;
- To equip the student with the necessary vocational skills for modern professional performance contexts.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Irish Traditional Music Practicum
- Introduction to Fieldwork Methods
- Writing and the Documentation of Practice
- Critical Engagement with Irish Traditional Music
- Professional Development for the Performing Arts
- Independent Study
- Introduction to Somatics
- Media Technologies for Performing Arts and Arts Research
- Interdisciplinary Improvisation
- Introduction to Ritual Studies
- Irish Traditional Music Project
- Critical Contexts for Arts Management and Cultural Policy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Applications for EU students are accepted on a rolling basis
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Music View 31 other Masters in Music in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A primary degree in a suitable discipline with first or second class honours or an approved professional qualification (Primary Degree: Level 8 NQAI).
- An interview will be required in all cases, as well as an audition where necessary. Candidates may be required to submit additional audio visual and/or written material.
- Qualification transcripts and certificates
- English language qualification if English is not your first language
- Certified English translations of your transcripts/certificates where the originals are in a language other than English.
- A copy of your birth certificate or passport
International12884 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12884 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5912 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5912 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.