What is Anthropology? Anthropology is the study of human similarity and human difference, it looks at the building blocks of human society and culture, studying the value and meaning of human life from the grassroots up on a local and global platform.
Ethnomusicology (study of world music) can be studies as part of Anthropology. Queen’s has a dedicated Performance Room with musical instruments from around the world.
Anthropology is ranked 3rd in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2018) and 1st in relation to research intensity (Research Excellence Framework 2014). With 92% for overall satisfaction! Resulting in it being 4th in the Russell Group
The Anthropology programme at Queen's University Belfast enables students to both deepen their general anthropological knowledge, specialise through one of our MA strands, and develop their own research project.
Graduates have pursued careers in a wide range of fields, such as research (academic and non-academic), teaching, music therapy, consultancy, development and charity work, museum and heritage posts, journalism and radio broadcasting. Among those who have pursued academic careers, not all have done so within anthropology - several have taken posts in related disciplines. Others have found positions within governmental and non-governmental organisations abroad.
- Anthropological Perspective
- Anthropology: Ethnography and Evolutions
- Approaches to Research Design
- Advanced Anthropological Methods
- MA Specialisation
- Negotiated Topic
- Anthropology of Conflict
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesAnthropology View 120 other Masters in Anthropology in United Kingdom
- Normally a 2.1 Honours degree in a relevant subject, including Anthropology, Sociology and Cultural Studies or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. Other subjects, such as Music, Geography, Psychology, Irish Studies, History and Languages may also be considered, depending on the nature of the completed undergraduate programme.
- Applicants who hold a 2.2 Honours degree in one of the disciplines specified above or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University, who can demonstrate relevant professional experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
International20800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6140 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6140 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.