This Acoustical and Vibration Engineering MSc course offered by the University of Southampton combines an understanding of engineering fundamentals with specialist knowledge of sound and vibration. We’ll develop your practical and problem-solving skills to apply them in fields including:
- noise control
- audio engineering
- architectural acoustics
- biomedical ultrasounds
You’ll study at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) - a world-leading centre for acoustical engineering.
You can choose to study acoustic engineering as a general topic, but may also decide to specialise in signal processing or structural vibration:
- Signal processing provides in-depth training on modern signal processing techniques for biomedical applications and audio signal processing.
- Structural vibration emphasises the advanced techniques to model, measure and control vibration in mechanical systems such as railways and automotive applications.
This master's in acoustics is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) as meeting the academic requirement for Further Learning, for Chartered Engineer registration. Candidates must hold a BEng/BSc undergraduate first degree that is accredited for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration to comply with full CEng registration requirements.
Testing is conducted through a combination of unseen written examinations and assessed coursework in the form of problem solving exercises, laboratory reports, design exercises, essays, and individual and group projects. Experimental, research and design skills are assessed through laboratory reports, coursework exercises and oral presentations.
- This course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods
- Signal Processing
- Musical Instrument Acoustics
- Noise Control Engineering
- Ocean Acoustics & Biomedical Ultrasound
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Music General Engineering & Technology View 685 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in: engineering, science, a maths subject
- Music technology graduates may be considered (dependent on the maths content of the degree), but pure music graduates are not considered
International24400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24400 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
- EU Full-time: £24,400
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.