If you want to start teaching or pursue a senior role in education, but don’t know where to start, then our master's degree in education is the course for you.
At this Education MSc course offered at the University of Southampton you’ll take a research-first approach, using evidence and data to inform discussion points within your written work and seminar contributions. You’ll learn to critically reflect on your own teaching and learning practices based on analysis of different teaching methods.
We’ll help you to navigate the educational system. You’ll analyse the challenges facing education and how regional, national and international policies can impact teaching and learning.
During the course, you’ll explore:
- how the influence of evidence from research can positively impact on teaching and learning
- topics which impact on education, including personal, cultural or social values
- international perspectives on different educational practices and policies from around the world
- methods and techniques required to collect and analyse data for educational research
- current debates in educational practice and research methodologies
The combination of taught lectures, interactive seminars and independent research study will help you to learn key professional skills.
Your other MSc Education pathway options are:
- MSc Education Management and Leadership - you'll develop knowledge and understanding of how to lead and manage education institutions, and how to become an academic leader.
- MSc Education Practice and Innovation - study different teaching and learning methods and learn how to conduct and analyse educational research in the fields of innovation and inclusive practices.
This is recognised as vital in your development when looking forward to, or continuing in, a professional role. You will be supported in learning how to form and maintain group cohesiveness to achieve clearly defined outcomes, such as a report, a group presentation or a combination of both. Group work will be managed through different ways reflecting approaches you may well experience in the work place. In some cases you will be grouped by the lecturer and at other times you will have the task to form your own group.
- Learning and Teaching
- Education Research: Practice and Methods
- Understanding Education Research
- Leadership in Education
- Inclusive Practices in Education
- Globalisation and Education Policy
- The Social context of education and lifelong learning
- Management in Education Organisations
- Investigating Innovations in Learning and Teaching
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Management, Organisation & Leadership Teaching View 448 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- To apply for this master's degree in education you’ll need a 2:1 degree. You'll also need to supply evidence that you have appropriate experience in education.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.