The mission of the Geoscience for Sustainable Energy programme at The University of Manchester is to develop the technical knowledge and skills required for graduating students to work in interdisciplinary careers that ensure the sustainable supply of energy and technology deployed to reduce atmospheric carbon by:
- supplying energy from the subsurface
- storing energy in the subsurface
- long-term atmospheric carbon storage
- storing waste from energy streams
- developing environmentally-sustainable solutions for sustainable future energy supply
This education and training will be facilitated by integration of fundamental theoretical knowledge, field-, laboratory and computational tools, through blended learning, tutorials, seminars, field trip and group work.Graduates of this programme will be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of all subsurface geoscience applications, alongside an in-depth technical knowledge of sedimentary geoscience and geophysics, rock mechanics, fluid flow and pore evolution. This will equip students for employment within the energy sector, including in the fields of energy, heat and hydrogen storage, geothermal energy, geological carbon sequestration, gas/compressed air storage, environmental governance of hydrocarbon extraction, and nuclear waste disposal. The programme content has been designed following consultation with key players in the energy industry and the programme will be supported by an industrial advisory board from a diverse range of sub-surface disciplines/energy providers.
- Applied Subsurface Geoscience
- GeoEnergy Systems
- Computational Subsurface Geoscience
- Communication Skills and Fieldwork
- Subsurfance Mechanics and GeoEngineering
- Fluids and Minerals in Subsurface Energy Systems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Sustainable Energy View 167 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in United Kingdom
- An upper second class degree or equivalent in Geology, Geophysics, Petroleum Engineering or related discipline.
- When assessing your academic record we take into account the grades you have achieved, your academic references and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification.
International26000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.