This Museum Studies - Hong Kong (Distance Learning) degree at the University of Leicester will provide you with a thorough understanding of the major theoretical, methodological and professional themes at the forefront of contemporary museum studies. The course will equip you with the skills to creatively and critically apply the knowledge you gain within specific professional contexts.
The Hong Kong course follows the same curriculum as our normal distance learning Museum Studies course, but you will benefit from a local Hong Kong based tutor and a Study Week designed especially for Hong Kong students each year led by academics from the School of Museum Studies. We also run this course with Hong Kong University which has been developed for those based in or near Hong Kong.
If you are taking the MA or MSc, you will also complete a research project on the topic of your choice. For many, it is the most exciting part of the course, as a self-directed opportunity to contribute new ideas, new knowledge, or critique existing scholarship or practice at an advanced academic level. You might choose to write this up as a dissertation, but you could also consider writing a paper, a professional report, or perhaps even producing a film. We look forward to working with you on the possibilities.
- At Leicester we have more than 20 years' experience of offering high-quality distance learning courses. More than 36,000 students have successfully graduated with a University of Leicester qualification studied through distance learning.
- This course is based on leading museum studies research and practice. It has been designed by experts in the field, who have been involved in expanding the academic discipline of museum studies over many years.
- You will also be guided through the course by individuals who are working within the museum and gallery sector in Hong Kong and in the UK, helping you strengthen your links with the profession internationally.
- The Museum and Change
- Designing for Creative Lives
- Objects and Collections: Care, Management and Curation
- Engaging Audiences
- Museums and the Natural Environment
- Museums and Contemporary Issues
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Museum Studies View 7 other Masters in Museum Studies in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Leicester and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Either a first class or second class degree, which can be in any subject area
- Or be able to demonstrate equivalent skills and aptitudes through the possession of a professional or vocational qualification and/or the accrual of relevant work experiences. Relevant experience can come from a wide spectrum of work or voluntary environments but clear evidence of this experience must be provided
- You should be able to demonstrate a commitment to, or strong interest in, museums, galleries, or other kinds of heritage or cultural organisation.
- If you do not have a degree, you will be asked complete an assessment, such as an essay, so as to demonstrate your readiness for postgraduate study. Clear guidance will be provided on assessment criteria. You may also be required to attend an interview.
International11633 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17450 GBP for the full programme during 18 months.
National11633 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17450 GBP for the full programme during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.