Each student has a supervisory committee, consisting of a principal supervisor, a personal tutor, and another staff member with relevant expertise. Research students have regular meetings with their principal supervisor (normally once a fortnight), and are welcome to consult other members of their committee as appropriate. They are encouraged to present reports on their work in seminars and colloquia during their period of study.
If the submission includes non-textual materials (such as a critical edition), the word length is normally reduced.
Final assessment is by means of a viva voce examination by an appointed panel consisting of an internal examiner from within the School (not identical with members of the supervisory committee), one external examiner who is an expert in the field, and a chair.
The School of Music has long experience of establishing collaborative links, often combined with full funding. Recent Music by Research projects from Bangor University , have been carried out in association with organisations such as Venue Cymru and the National Waterfront Museum.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- For MA by Research, the area of investigation may be historical, analytical, philosophical, critical, or empirical in nature.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducational Research Music Musicology View 102 other Masters in Musicology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A first degree at British Bachelor’s standard (or equivalent), normally in the first-class category.
- Applicants are required to present a proposal for their research project (including research questions, methodology, and a literature review). All applicants will be asked to submit samples of their written work.
- Candidates are accepted on both the strength their academic performance at Bachelor’s level, and on the originality and feasibility of their research proposal.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4660 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.