There are a number of modules to choose from, covering topics to deepen your understanding of the Universe, such as cosmology, dark matter, general relativity and astrobiology.
We can run projects on topics including galaxies, quasars, supernovae, massive stars, white and brown dwarfs, star formation, star clusters, planet formation and the evolution of the solar system.
- MSc Astrophysics students at University of Sheffield can go on a subsidised field trip to the international observatory on La Palma in the Canary Islands.
- The island is home to a number of world-leading telescopes that our astrophysicists use, and is an ideal environment for astronomy, being both close to the equator and 2,400m above sea level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Dark Matter and the Universe
- History of Astronomy
- Particle Astrophysics
- The Development of Particle Physics
- Extra-Solar Planets and Astrobiology
- Physics in an Enterprise Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 203 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Undergraduate degree in the physical sciences or a related subject (for example mathematics or computer science). We usually ask for a 2:1 degree in physics, astronomy or astrophysics.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sheffield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.