The Masters Programme in Sociology from Stockholm University consists of compulsory courses 45 credits, elective courses 45 credits, and a Master´s thesis 30 credits. The compulsory part is made up of courses in sociological theory and in empirical analysis. The elective courses are chosen from the wide range of master level courses offered by the Department of Sociology. Upon agreement, courses from other departments can be included in the programme.
The compulsory courses provide a thorough knowledge of general Sociology and the elective courses allow for a high level of flexibility and specialization within the programme.
After completing the programme, a Master´s degree in Sociology is awarded.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Qualitative Methods in the Social Sciences
- Modern Sociological Theory
- Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences. 60 ECTS credits in Sociology. Swedish upper secondary school course English B/English 6 or equivalent.
- Grades of academic courses, the quality/subject of the Bachelor’s Thesis and the relevance of previous studies in relation to the programme
International8581 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17162 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition fees only concern citizens outside the EU, EES and Switzerland
- First instalment: 45000 SEK
- Total course/programme fee: 180000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.