Development Economics from University of Göttingen is jointly offered by the Department of Economics (Faculty of Business and Economics) and the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (Faculty of Agricultural Sciences). It builds on the successful Master of Science in International Economics and the Master of Arts in Agribusiness; these programmes already had a strong specialisation in development issues.
The degree in development economics will offer excellent career perspectives in a wide range of fields. Building on a track record of successful placement of students of our existing master's programmes, the opportunities for this programme include employment in:
- Governments and aid agencies working on development issues
- International organisations such as the World Bank, organisations of the UN system (e.g. ILO, FAO, UNIDO, UNDP, UNICEF, UNESCO, etc.), the OECD, EU, or regional development banks
- Policy research institutions such as those of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research as well as national and international development policy think tanks
- International business in multinational companies
- Further education at the Ph.D. level in Göttingen or abroad
- Poverty & Inequality
- Empirical Political Economy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics International Development Econometrics View 108 other Masters in Economics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application
- A course of study of at least 6 semesters in length with a Bachelor's degree comprising at least 180 ECTS credits in the subject of Economics or a closely related subject.
- Verification of at least 150 of the 180 ECTS credits is required at the time of application
- Motivation letter
- Proof of language proficiency required for the degree programme
- Statutory declaration (Eidesstattliche Versicherung)
International768 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 384 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA768 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 384 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- 389 EUR for summer semester
- The semester fees comprise administration fees, student body fees and a Studentenwerk fee.
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.