During the Primary programme from the University of Portsmouth you'll learn to be an amazing Primary school teacher who can engage your pupils, work productively with your colleagues, and keep improving your teaching practice throughout your career.
You'll study with expert practitioners and academic researchers in your university sessions, and spend at least 120 days on placement in a school or other educational setting, with support from school-based mentors.
We'll offer you school placements in both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2, and give you a taste of teaching and learning outside mainstream primary education to broaden your knowledge of the sector.
When you graduate, you'll be eligible for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which qualifies you to teach in UK schools as a Primary teacher. You'll also be well placed for moving into school management roles, other training careers or any role that calls for creative communication and problem-solving skills.
Careers this course prepares you for
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career as a fully-qualified Primary school teacher. As a new teacher in 2022, you could expect a starting salary of between £25,714 and £32,157 in the UK, depending on where you teach.
As its an internationally-recognised qualification, this PGCE Primary course will also enable you to work as a teacher overseas, including in the USA, Canada and Australia.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Development of the Professional Teacher
- Pedagogy and Learning in a Primary Setting
- Reflective Practice in Primary Teaching
- The Professional Teacher
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 105 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A UK degree or equivalent (a minimum of 2:2 is desirable).
- GCSE Mathematics, English language and a science subject at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent.
- All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview.
- All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
- Applicants whose first language is not English, and who do not have GCSE English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, require English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component less than 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.