It may also be of interest to existing Notaries who wish to obtain a graduate degree focused upon their area of professional practice. Completion of the degree is a prerequisite for membership in the Society of Notaries Public.
At this time, the Applied Legal Studies program is of limited value to those who do not want, or do not already have, a career as a Notary.
The degree - a Master of Arts (MA) from Simon Fraser University - is granted upon the successful completion of the required number of courses and a final examination. In the case of aspiring Notaries, the degree will prepare students for admission to practice, subject to further requirements prescribed by the Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia, and by provincial legislation.The number of individuals entering practice in British Columbia is ultimately governed by the Society of Notaries Public. Conferral of the degree is no guarantee of a position in the Society’s post degree professional training programs or in professional practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Topics in Canadian Law and the Canadian Legal System
- Legal Research and Writing
- Legal Philosophy
- Real Property
- 24 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCriminal Law Public Law Legal Studies View 17 other Masters in Criminal Law in Canada
- a bachelor’s degree from SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.33 scale, or 3.33 on a 4.33 scale (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered.
- submitted evidence, usually references from qualified referees, of the applicant’s ability to undertake advanced studies in the area of interest.
- proof of English Language proficiency
- In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
International3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.