The field of geomatics comprises geographic information science and cartography, geodesy and navigation, cadastral and land surveying, engineering geodesy and geomonitoring, remote sensing and photogrammetry. Society needs experts in each of these areas but it also needs engineers with abilities in several of them for interdisciplinary collaboration with other trades and disciplines.
The Master's programme in Geomatics offered by ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology comprises research-oriented work through projects, seminars and the master thesis under the supervision of PhD students, postdocs and professors. Building upon a Bachelor's degree in geospatial engineering or a related field such as geomatics, geodesy, or surveying and geoinformation, the Master's programme allows students both to broaden and deepen their expertise in geospatial data acquisition, data analysis and visualisation.
Additionally, vital transferable skills such as teamwork, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and scientific working are fostered through projects, lab work and courses which expose students to cutting-edge scientific research and advanced methods, as well as to real-world situations and case studies.
The strength and reputation of the ETH geomatic engineering groups’ research attract collaboration with businesses and industries from around the world. The students enjoy the opportunity to get connected with the private sector and interact with potential employers.
- Engineering Geodesy and Photogrammetry
- Space Geodesy and Navigation
- GIS and Cartography
A list of further recommended electives can be found in the course catalogue:
- Programme: Geomatic Engineering Master
- Section: Electives
- Subsection: Electives Recommended by the Degree Programme
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Astronomy & Space Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the degree programme presupposes a university Bachelor’s degree comprising at least 180 ECTS(1 credits, an equivalent university degree, or a Bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of applied sciences(2 in a discipline the content of which – also with regard to any additional academic requirements within the given framework – satisfies the pertaining academic prerequisites.
- A university Bachelor’s degree only qualifies the holder for admission to the Master’s degree programme at ETH Zurich if it also allows admission without additional requirements to the desired university Master’s degree programme within the university system in which it was acquired. The Rector may require proof of a university place, and determines whether said proof must be supplied from the original university or from another university in the country where the Bachelor’s degree was acquired.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 24 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.