The Music (Performance) MMus course offered by the University of Southampton gives you the opportunity to specialise in various elements of the field. On this course, you'll study:
- the technique, history and repertoire of your instrument or voice
- principles and presentation skills of performance
- key skills in music performance and research
- key skills in performance teaching
Our academic staff and music teachers are internationally noted performers with active solo and ensemble careers, as well as established composers and musicologists. These world-leading experts can offer you intensive one-to-one tuition in performance and additional training to make you a stronger, better informed professional who will be heard in today's music world.
We offer a broad-based MMus programme with 4 specialist pathways:
- Music Education
On the Performance pathway, you’ll work towards the final goal of a professional recital. We’ll work with you to create a portfolio that’s relevant to your career aspirations. Once you graduate, you’ll be ready to:
- continue your research at a doctoral level
- work in the music industry or wider cultural sector
- become a teacher
- work as a freelance musician
You can mix your Performance modules with topics from other MMus pathways to develop a wider range of skills and personalise the course to your interests.
We recognise that music has increasingly become a 'portfolio career' and aim to provide our students with a platform for success in whatever area of music their aspirations lie.
A master's degree will help you to develop the key skills that employers look for, such as:
- time, deadline and project management
- problem solving
- teamwork, relationship-building and working independently
- cultural awareness
- critical thinking and research analysis
Above all, you will learn to communicate your ideas and enthusiasm to a wide range of audiences.
- Artists and Repertoires
- Composition Portfolio
- Critical Practice in Musicology
- Final Recital
- Musicology Dissertation
- Preparation for Final Project
- Professional Writing and Presentation Skills
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- This course is now closed for the 2021/22 academic year.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Music Music History View 129 other Masters in Music History in United Kingdom
- You'll need a 2:1 degree in Music or a related subject.
- For the Performance pathway, you'll need to submit samples of recorded performance. These should be 2 to 3 contrasting pieces for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, showing your technical proficiency and interpretive ability. You must be able to read at sight and learn pieces quickly.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.