You can apply to study Maritime Archaeology as either an MSc or an MA at Southampton.
This MSc version offers the same course content as our MA Maritime Archaeology degree but you’ll take a more science-based approach through your module choices and dissertation topic.
The Maritime Archaeology MSc course offered at the University of Southampton draws on the world-leading expertise of the Centre for Maritime Archaeology to offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of content.
The course is designed to allow rapid development of the diverse academic knowledge and practical skills required to work in this field, including:
- the latest methods for data acquisition and integration
- academic research and dissemination
- archaeological fieldwork
This means you’ll cover all aspects of maritime archaeology, from those who wish to focus on field-based activities, both above and under water, through to laboratory or library-based research.
With this degree you'll be qualified to work as a maritime archaeologist in a wide range of careers. Areas you could work in include:
- academic, commercial and cultural resource management
- non-governmental organisations (NGO)
The skills and knowledge you'll develop will also be sought after in offshore industries, the media and business settings.
- Applied Maritime Archaeology
- Archaeology Masters Dissertation
- Maritime Aspects of Culture
- Analysis of archaeological faunal remains
- Ancient Mediterranean Seafaring
- Bioarchaeology of Human Remains
- Contexts for Human Origins Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Archaeology Hydrology & Water Management View 151 other Masters in Archaeology in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in in archaeology, anthropology, history or another relevant subject.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.