This Economics MRes course offered by the University of Southampton gives you the skills to carry out independent research and conduct your own investigations. It’s the ideal training for a career as an economist or a path to starting a PhD.
Initially you'll cover quantitative methods. As well as either microeconomics or economic analysis, and macroeconomics or financial economics and asset prices.
Later on you’ll take a research module and you'll attend departmental seminars and workshops to learn about the latest economic research. Choose from options covering all aspects of the discipline from macro and microeconomics to econometrics and finance.You’ll develop the ability to:
- understand the theoretical foundations of economics and/or econometrics
- formulate, manipulate and draw conclusions from an economic model
- apply economic analysis to a range of policy areas
- interpret and critically evaluate economic ideas and research findings
- test and evaluate economic models using a variety of research methodologies, data and analyses
- design, implement and manage independent research in economics
- present ideas, arguments and research findings effectively
You’ll have access to our Bloomberg suite as part of standalone training and your dissertation research. The suite hosts 21 trading terminals, giving you access to real-time data, breaking news and powerful analytics.
You’ll graduate with the knowledge and practical skills for a career in the private sector, in management or consultancy. You can work as an economist, or economic or quantitative analyst for a range of organisations including:
- central and local governments
- international institutions
- statistical offices
- central banks
- financial supervision authorities
- international aid organisations
- commercial banks
- research institutions
- Preliminary Mathematics and Statistics
- Quantitative Methods
- Economic Analysis
- Experimental Economics
- Financial Derivatives
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Economics and Asset Pricing
- Industrial Economics
- International Trade
- Labour Economics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEconomics Econometrics Statistics View 121 other Masters in Econometrics in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in one of the following:
- quantitative techniques
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.