You learn how to translate insights from sport psychological literature into practical applications. This will help you to coach people in positions such as performance coach, psychological skills trainer, consultant or policymaker.
Examples of questions that are answered in this track are:
- Why do some people perform better under pressure while others perform worse?
- How can professional singers manage their performance anxiety?
- How can you help someone who wants to be the best football player in the world?
- How can an advertising agency increase its creative output?
- Why is Pep Guardiola such a successful coach?
On the one hand, you look at individual factors such as self-confidence, concentration, performance anxiety, motivation and flow. On the other hand, you study social factors such as group processes, team performance, leadership, coaching, and the role of the media and the public.
As a graduate of the Psychology - Sport and Performance Psychology programme of the University of Amsterdam you can work as a sport psychologist with athletes, but you are strongly advised to follow postgraduate courses to develop your applied skills as a psychologist.
Career options are:
- High performance consultant
- Mental coach in a dance company
- Psychological skills trainer for musicians
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sport and Performance Psychology in Depth
- Group Dynamics in Sport and Performance Psychology
- Interventions in Sport and Performance Psychology
- Research in Sport and Performance Psychology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Coaching Sports Sciences View 12 other Masters in Sports Sciences in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- ≥5 EC Basic knowledge of Psychology
- ≥24 EC Methods and Statistics courses in Psychology or Social Sciences of which ≥21 EC on quantitative research
- ≥9 EC Empirical research project (demonstrating your writing & research skills) on a Psychological or related Social Science.
- ≥6 EC Basic knowledge of sport and performance psychology on bachelor level 1
- ≥12 EC Advanced knowledge of Psychology on bachelor level 2/3
Statement of Motivation
International candidates who are non-native English speakers are required to submit official English proficiency test scores.International degrees should be equivalent to a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree.
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.