On this Inclusion and Special Educational Needs programme from University of Birmingham, you develop an overarching understanding of educational inclusion and SEND and associated policies. You will examine the frameworks for evaluating policies and practice and you will explore the socio-cultural conceptualisations of disability and SEND practice in a global context. You will also be introduced to different SEND groupings (as conceptualised in many educational systems). Through this degree, you will be able to develop knowledge, understanding and critiques of research, educational policy and practice and have the opportunity to investigate historical and cultural aspects of disability.
Why Study this course?
- The University of Birmingham is a leading provider of degree-level courses in inclusion and special educational needs.
- Our courses develop real insight and encourage reflective practice. You will be tutored by senior practitioners and researchers in the field of inclusion who work within the Department of Disability, Inclusion and Special Needs (DISN)
- The MA Inclusion degree offers both flexibility and choice from a range of modules.
The MA Inclusion (Special Educational Needs) degree is designed to supplement professionals already working in the field, or those seeking a general introduction to topics within inclusion and special educational needs. In general, this includes teachers, education advisors, special educational needs coordinators, head teachers in schools, managers of community and charitable organisations, support workers in places such as a university or workplace disability service unit, social workers or nurses providing care for persons with disabilities, or a staff member of a Ministry of Education or Ministry of Health, amongst other things.
There is the opportunity to work towards a further professional qualification in the field of Education, including progression to a PhD. The excellent careers advice provided by personal tutors has encouraged many of our graduates to successfully apply for roles working with children and young people with special educational needs.
- Cross-Cultural Issues in Special Educational Needs
- Evaluation and Policy Analysis for Inclusive Education
- Inclusion: Universal and Specialist Approaches
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 100 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Birmingham and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Normally a UK 2:2 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant area of practice or discipline. Vocational qualifications are accepted as criteria for entry to this course.
- Most students will have some relevant professional experience and all applicants are encouraged to gain relevant experience in educational, care or other professional settings before, and during, embarking on a programme of study.
- Speakers of English as a second language will be required to hold an IELTs 7 with no less than 6.5 in each band or equivalent qualification.
International6810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6810 GBP per year during 36 months.
National3540 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3540 GBP per year during 36 months.
- PGCert £3,540
- PGCert £6,810
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.