Mitigating and adapting to climate change, making mobility and the energy system more sustainable, improving the quality of life in rapidly expanding cities worldwide, as well as using the opportunities and coping with the challenges of digital society are among the many societal issues where solutions are likely to emerge at the interface of science, technology, and public policy.
To contribute effectively to policy-making in such areas, science and engineering skills are essential, but so are academic skills in policy analysis. Policy analysis is a distinct academic field that draws on concepts, models, and methods from economics, political science, psychology, and other social sciences. Applying such skills to substantive real-world issues, whose analysis also requires science and engineering know-how, is at the core of our Master's programme in Science, Technology and Policy.
The skills that are acquired in the Science, Technology and Policy programme at ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology are in high demand, particularly in government agencies, technology and life sciences firms, consulting firms, industry, international organisations, NGOs, and also academia.
- Consulting: In consulting, graduates contribute to feasible and effective solutions to real-world problems based on innovative new methods at the interface of science, technology, and policy.
- International Organisations: Given their interdisciplinary backgrounds and leadership skills, STP graduates are attractive employees for international organisations.
- Research and Education: In academia, graduates promote an interdisciplinary approach to research and education, and their research will aim at integrated technical-social solutions to global issues.
- Industry and Government: In industry and government, graduates apply innovative insights and approaches to problem solving in the real world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Cornerstone Science, Technology, and Policy
- Bridging Science, Technology, and Policy
- Colloquium Science, Technology, and Policy
- Policy Analysis
- Data & Computer Science
- Energy & Mobility
- Life Sciences & Health
- Resources & Environment
- Urbanization & Planning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
The Bologna application period is only available for students who do not require a visa and who are prepared to wait for the decision until June.
DisciplinesNatural Sciences General Engineering & Technology Public Policy
- Successful candidates must hold a BSc degree with minimum 180 ECTS in natural sciences or engineering including architecture and mathematics.
- All candidates must submit an application online and are subject to individual assessment by the admissions committee.
- GRE General Test: Compulsory for students who have not obtained their Bachelor degree diploma in one of the EU/EFTA Member State countries
- 2 recommendation letters
- Motivation letter
- Complete course contents, including courses still to be visited, in a short version (keywords)
International1240 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 620 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1240 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 620 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
CHF 660 per semester
It is primarily the responsibility of students and their families to finance studies. If their funds are insufficient, students may file a scholarship request.Merit-based scholarship
ETH Zurich supports excellent students wishing to pursue a Master’s degree at ETH with two scholarship programmes:
- Excellence Scholarship
- ETH-D Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.