The Archaeology MA programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam gives you a world-class education in the archaeology of Europe and the adjacent Mediterranean area. You will obtain advanced skills that enable you to define relevant research questions, conduct independent research, and to report your findings according to the highest professional standards.
This Master’s is offered jointly by VU Amsterdam and the University of Amsterdam – combining their expertise in Archaeology, Ancient History and Classics in the Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology (ACASA). This merging of specialisations encourages collaboration and extends the options when it comes to the supervision of your Master’s thesis. Not only is the teaching strongly related to the research expertise of the staff, but you’ll also be a partner in research during your studies.
A Master's degree in Archaeology prepares you for a broad range of career opportunities – some involving in-depth knowledge of archaeology, but many in other sectors that could benefit from your academic skills.
Graduates from the programme have found positions in commercial archaeological research; local, national or international heritage management agencies; the presentation of archaeology to the public; the broad cultural heritage sector, including museums, archives, journalism and cultural tourism; the IT sector; and even banking and business administration.
- Cutting Edge Archaeology: Human Mobility
- Historical Archaeology: Theories and Concepts
- Digital Archaeology: Modern Methodologies and Applications
- Archaeology, Heritage and Society
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArchaeology History Ancient History View 15 other Masters in Archaeology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The Master’s programme Archaeology is open for application to students with a Bachelor’s degree in:
- Archaeology, or
- Geo-archaeology, Ancient Studies, Anthropology, History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies), or a similar degree programme with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in the field of Archaeology.
You must demonstrate the following knowledge, understanding and skills:
- Knowledge and understanding: knowledge and understanding of current research methods and theories within the field of Archaeology or Ancient Studies
- Knowledge and understanding: basic knowledge and understanding of the material culture and historical frameworks of Mediterranean or European Archaeology
- Skills: the ability to carry out a survey of (material) sources and secondary literature and to derive from this a ‘status quaestionis’
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.