School districts frequently award salary increases to teachers who hold master’s degrees, and master’s degrees are usually required for part-time teaching at the community college or university level.During the Secondary Mathematics Education program at California State University Northridge, students:
- Experience and implement innovative mathematics-teaching practices, especially drawing on reform methodology and curricula.
- Acquire greater fluency with educational technologies, including Internet resources, website development and graphing technologies.
- Investigate current research in mathematics teaching and learning and how it translates into practice.
- Conduct applied classroom-based research.
- Deepen their knowledge and understanding of broad issues, policies and controversies that impact schools in general and mathematics teaching in particular.
- Develop as leaders in mathematics education through presentations and participation in professional organizations and support networks.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Theoretical understanding of teaching and learning mathematics by reading and synthesizing educational theory and research in mathematics education and examining the implications of theory and research findings to their practice in diverse classroom settings.
- An understanding of effective teaching practices for diverse mathematics classrooms, and they reflect on their ability to use that understanding in their own practice.
- Graduate-level research skills by designing, conducting and presenting research ethically and effectively.
- Educational awareness through critical analysis of current issues in mathematics education and general education and how those impact schools.
- An understanding of educational leadership and apply that understanding in practice.
- Teaching Contemporary Mathematics
- Research in Secondary Education
- Educational Issues and Implications for Multiethnic Mathematics Classrooms
- Technology in Teaching and Learning Mathematics
- Theory and Research in Teaching Secondary School Mathematics
- Leadership in Mathematics Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Educational Research View 912 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Employment as a teacher of mathematics (desirable).
- Teaching credential (may be waived for private school teachers or college instructors).
- Submission of a completed department application.
- Submission of a completed application to CSUN via Cal State Apply.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5.
International14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
National14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8498 USD per year during 12 months.
Yearly tuition fee for seven or more units per semester.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.