Qatar has a strategic geographical position at the global crossroads of culture, business, and geopolitics. The country is located at the center of a region that requires leaders who can manage multi-faceted relationships that span different public policy making dynamics and command a wide range of skills.
The Public Policy program of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University provides training to graduate students from a range of disciplines in the skills needed to understand and enrich policy making in Qatar and the region. The program will offer world-class academic and professional training in public policy analysis, design, implementation, evaluation, and management; as well as specializations in social policy, and in energy and the environment.
The program builds on the four pillars of public policy: politics, economics, public management ethics, and research methodology. It is designed to integrate analysis, research, and practical application of knowledge, from an interdisciplinary perspective. Other distinctive features include a strong focus on ethics in program design, and on real-world experiences. The specializations will complement and deepen the core training, and encourage students to work with clients in addressing current policy problems. The program’s ambition is to create thinkers who can do, and doers who can think.
Graduates of this program will be equipped to:
- Engage with themes and ideas that cut across disciplines, with an emphasis on the design, implementation, and evaluation of public policy in context, particularly in areas in which there are pressing societal needs.
- Undertake various methods of research; and produce and test case studies at the frontier of the public policy and social sciences.
- Demonstrate expertise in multiple fields within public policy and social sciences, including the theory, methodology, and understanding of public policy implementation processes.
- Acquire knowledge of the approaches for advancing research towards having a social impact and producing original interdisciplinary research and case studies.
- Policy Analysis and Design
- Economics for Public Policy
- Ethics, Law, and Public Policy
- Research Methods for Public Policy
- Public Management: Innovations and Challenges
- Global Political Economy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Administration Public Policy
- A bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA out of 4.0) from a recognized university
- Applicants from all fields are welcome to apply, including engineering, natural sciences and humanities, but preference will be given to those with an academic background in political science, public administration, economics, communications, or other social sciences
- Submit a valid IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL score of 79 in order to demonstrate your proficiency in English
- Official electronic copies of transcripts and graduation statements should be submitted as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation
- Applicants should submit a personal statement as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit a copy of their current resume or curriculum vitae
- All applicants should submit an electronic copy of their passport as part of the online application
International15037 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30074 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National15037 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30074 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- QAR 109,500 per full
Living costs for Ar Rayyan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.