The use of Geographical Information Systems has been registering, over the last decade, a significant increase in spatial planning, which is materialized by the adoption of this technology in areas as diverse as: environment, transportation, water supplying and waste treatment, agriculture, civil protection, among many others.
The aims of the Geographical Information Systems and Spatial Planning programme of the University of Porto are grouped in four great parameters:
- Disciplinary scientific education: to promote the deepening of knowledge in the cartography, geographical information systems; and in the scope of planning and spatial planning, to apply explicative models and diagnosis methodologies and to propose territorial intervention areas;
- Multidisciplinary scientific education: to promote interdisciplinarity and transversality of knowledge;
- Adaptation capacities: to train post-graduates to face and to solve new problems creatively, showing adaptation capacities to the fast changes in the current world;
- Personal training: To improve time and resource management capacity;
- To solidify the structuring of reason and thought, the identification and formalization capacity and to develop of a critical mind;
- To improve oral and written communication, group work and intercultural and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Relational Databases
- Geographical Data Collection and Processing
- Cartography and Geographical Information Systems
- Spatial Planning and Management Resources
- Applied Remote Sensing in Spatial Planning
- Spatial Analysis in Spatial Planning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Urban Planning View 4 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Hold a bachelors degree or legal equivalent in one of the areas specified by the school/faculty;
- Hold a foreign higher education degree that is in accordance with the Bologna process or that may be recognised by the U.Porto as satisfying the requirements of a bachelors degree;
- Have an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that the U.Porto recognises as proof of ability to complete the course of study.
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Porto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.