Generic objectives defined for the study programme offered by the University of Porto:
- To provide postgraduate training in Artistic Heritage and Visual Culture, to a design which combines the teaching / learning contents taught with a section that is designed to provide students with professional tools and experience;
- To promote the practice of research, encouraging student autonomy in their academic career;
- To provide advanced training in the visual arts focused on the analysis of artistic production and its creative processes and reception in its diachronically;
- To prepare professionals with a solid understanding of the heritage, with capacity to act in their conservation, dissemination and enjoyment, as well as to promote critical knowledge of various contemporary artistic expressions.
Intended learning outcomes (knowledge, skills and competences) to be developed by the students:
With this program, students are expected to:
- Obtain a solid theoretical background in the fields of Art History, Heritage Studies and Visual Culture;
- Produce creative Dissertations, Internship Reports and Projects anchored in contemporary discussions and practices of their field of study;
- Be able to lead fundamental and applied research programs, either in their area of expertise, and in the interface between Art History, Heritage and Visual Culture;
- Obtain skills for scientific communication and the practice of professions framework of the History of Art, Heritage and Visual Culture;
- May play consultancy roles in institutions, businesses and other public and private organizations in the areas of Art History, Heritage and Visual Culture;
- Become active agents in social mobilization for intervention and heritage fruition as well as for the safeguarding and promotion of Cultural Heritage.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Project methodologyand research I
- Studies and Practice in Heritage
- Image and Contexts I
- Project methodology and research II
- Cultural and Patrimonial Management
- Image and contexts II
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History
- Holders of a graduate degree (180 ECTS) or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree obtained as a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the Bologna Program;
- Holders of an academic, scientific of professional curriculum recognized as adequate (Check Diário da República – 2nd Series – no. 95, of 17.05.2007 – Deliberation no. 807.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1250 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.