This innovative evidence-based interfaculty Human Nutrition and Dietetics programme offered at the University of Limerick is an opportunity for honours graduates to pursue studies that will lead to them becoming competent nutritionists and dietitians working across a diverse range of environments to include the clinical, community and public health settings, hospital and private practices, food service management and food industry.
The MSc in Nutrition and Dietetics aims to develop graduates who are able to:
- Establish therapeutic relationships with diverse populations through optimising the nutrition of communities and individuals, in a range of settings.
- Critique and apply evidence to patient assessment, diagnosis and nutritional management
- Be competent in the prescription, delivery and monitoring of nutrition and dietetic interventions, based on an evidence-based and clinically-reasoned approach for the effective management of people with a range of conditions.
- Employ the principles of client centred practice.
- Collaborate with clients, colleagues and communities.
- Engage in continuing professional development.
- Use an innovative and creative approach to meet evolving service developments and healthcare needs.
- Conduct research and appraise the scientific literature to inform an evidence-based approach to research and practice.
- Integrate the ethical, social and cultural dimensions of healthcare within clinical judgement.
- Demonstrate mastery in the application of specialist knowledge in line with the required dietetic competencies as set out by the Dietitians Registration Board of CORU.
- Understand the associations between nutrition, health and disease to enable the integration and application to the practice of dietetics.
- Use an evidence-based framework to provide practical and holistic solutions to a range of changing and complex nutrition and dietetic issues in a range of settings.
- Apply critical thinking in the dietetic assessment and management of individuals, groups and communities.
- Exercise professional and ethical dietetic practice for individuals, groups and communities from diverse social and cultural backgrounds and in different environments
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Nutrition Communication & Education
- Preparation for Practice Education
- Food & Nutrition throughout life
- Dietetic Assessment & Practice
- Food Science & Food Skills
- Food Service Theory & Practice
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Nutritional Epidemiology & Translational Research
- Clinical Nutritiion & Dietetics A
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Health Sciences View 120 other Masters in Health Sciences in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Minimum of a second class honours primary degree (Level 8 National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) or a postgraduate degree (Level 9 National Qualifications Authority of Ireland). Applicants must have successfully completed units/modules in Biochemistry and Human Physiology (NFQ level 8 or higher) as part of the primary or postgraduate degree or other relevant degree from a recognised University.
- Applicants must demonstrate in their application where these prerequisite subjects have been met. Candidates may apply to this programme in the final semester of an undergraduate programme and must produce evidence that all requirements for postgraduate study are met before entering the programme.
International18539 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18539 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA10753 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10753 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Year 2: EU-EEA: 10,442 eur/ Non-EU-EEA: 18,002 eur
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.